Monday 15 December 2008

Καληνύχτα

When I know I've got so much to say

and I'm almost kicking myself,

but the mind is blank, the page is blank and my internet blog is ........

what else can I do but just

write something?

I landed in Athens on Thursday eve, before which flight I was sitting at Gatwick in a skimpy easyJet plane for around seven hours aside what was supposedly an "icey runway". I'm now in Harakopio, nr Kalamata staying with two local residents - Mick (my dad) and Gill (my step-mother). I'm hoping to start a bit of work experience tomorrow picking some olives, if the weather is better. We fitted in a half day taster helping a friend on Saturday, which was good. Whacking branches with sticks and all that.

Weather here is amazing. It's better than this year's summer in Cornwall, if you could call it that. There is a bit of rain and it gets cold at night, but most of the time it's bright and nice. It is kind of disorientating - I feel like I've time-travelled the seasons. I'm hoping to actually get in the sea later in the week, in mid-December!

So, to get you up to speed on the rest of my life (there's not much to say, don't worry)... I'll be looking for more work (preferably labouring) when I return to Cornwall (home) before or in the new year. Save enough to venture somewhere else for a bit and gain some more gardening/agric. experience, maybe wwoof-ing or kibbutz-ing or someth-ing. Then I plan to apply for a horticulture course, which could be one of two (FDScHorts or HNC Hort) at Duchy college, or somewhere else altogether that I'm yet to find.

After a short meditate I've decided I can talk more tomorrow. I'm tired and tea and cake awaits; interesting Greek cake. So, without formatting, spell check or any of my usual perfectionist tendencies, there you have it - my first post.

Good night

No comments: